Site content by Julian Oliver Dörr and Sebastian Schmidt
This site introduces the Mannheim Web Panel (MWP) – a panel dataset of website contents extracted from corporate websites for a large sample of German companies.
The MWP was developed at the ZEW – Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research in the Project Business and Economic Research Data Center (BERD@BW).
Why corporate websites?
Company websites pose an important source of economic data used by firms to spread product and service information (related to establishing a public image), to conduct transactions (e-business processes) and to ease opinion sharing (electronic word-of-mouth) (Balzquez & Domenech, 2018). Recent economic studies have used corporate website data to:
- predict firm innovativeness (Gök et al., 2015, Kinne & Lenz, 2021; Axenbeck & Breithaupt, 2021)
- examine market entry strategies (Arora et al., 2013)
- examine enterprise growth (Li et al., 2016)
- monitor firm export orientation (Balzquez & Domenech, 2017)
- track crisis impacts on the corporate sector (Dörr et al., 2021)